View My Stats

Friday, January 21, 2011

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown

Be Nice…. We have often heard people say that to us, our parents have been telling us, teachers have been teaching us (by way of social studies, if I may say). It’s a virtue in itself that never goes wrong; at least that has been my experience; but a virtue that is lost somewhere.
Today in this materialistic and calculative world, hoard and hoard some more is all that we do. To satisfy our needs and demands which refuse to cease. But does cost to be “kind” or “nice”? Do we have anything to lose in it? Yes we do, it’s our EGO... and so it is bloody expensive at times.. But the returns are exemplary J and we don’t have to be a genius or successful to be nice...
You tell me, does it cost when your warm smile greets someone, it could be the only smile the person has seen in the whole day.
Or the compliment you pay to someone who least expects it, it could light up their day…
And nothing heals like a kind word spoken, it could be the last conversation you have…
As for the returns they are three fold, you might not see them… but the blessings do come, when you least expect them… I know it’s easy to preach and tough to practice, but it should make you perfect..  And as for me I only have to say that people have only been kind to me and all I can say is Gracias!
There is an anecdote that I read on an email sent to me, thought I’d share it with you..
During my second year of nursing school our professor gave us a quiz.  I breezed through the questions until I read the last one:  "What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?"  Surely this was a joke.  I had seen the cleaning woman several times, but how would I know her name?  I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank.  Before the class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our grade.  "Absolutely," the professor said.  "In your careers, you will meet many people.  All are significant.  They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say hello."  I've never forgotten that lesson.  I also learned her name was Dorothy. 
I might be insignificant in someone’s life, but all I know that all of these people who cross my path are of immense significance to me.

Don’t want to preach anything here, but on a lighter note “if you step on people in this life, you’re going to come back as a cockroach in your next” :D
Ciao 

No comments:

Post a Comment